Best Time for Paris -May or September?

Author: sherhatfield
Date: 06/06/2008, 01:50 pm

Thinking about my 2009 vacation and I'd like to go to Paris. My husband and I typically travel to Europe in September and love it, but I'm itching to go somewhere a little sooner in 2009. :)

I would be booking with FF miles, so if I choose May, then I would be booking within the next couple of weeks. We've never been to France, but I'm thinking we would just do about 8-10 days in Paris with maybe a short day trip or two.

So I'm just curious, which month would you pick?


Author: kerouac
Date: 06/06/2008, 01:58 pm

As a Parisian, I would absolutely recommend September for better weather.

May weather can be fickle -- too hot, too cold or just right. But if you want to come to Paris, any month is fine, even February (the cheapest month for hotels).


Author: yk
Date: 06/06/2008, 02:07 pm

I think either month would be fine. kerouac lives in Paris, so I think he knows what he's talking about. ;)

Personally, I would pick May, just because the daylight is even longer.

For mid-May, Paris gets 15.5 hours of day light. Sunrise around 6, sunset around 9:30p.

For mid-Sept, the daylight goes down to 12.5 hrs. Sunrise around 7:30a, sunset around 8pm.


Author: sherhatfield
Date: 06/06/2008, 02:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. It is a tough decision, but September may win out for the weather...



Author: WillTravel
Date: 06/06/2008, 02:28 pm

We had much better weather in early February 2007 than we did in late March 2008. I guess that just goes to show you can't tell for sure.


Author: hopingtotravel
Date: 06/06/2008, 02:34 pm

We have been twice in May and the blooms are beautiful.


Author: gracejoan3
Date: 06/06/2008, 02:49 pm

Kerouac obviously knows the weather best!!

I go to Paris for a month mid April-mid May and mid Sept-mid Oct. My experience definitely has been that Sept/Oct has better weather. April/May, you just don't know.

But, as Kerouac said, anytime is good. I have been there most months, with the exception of July and August. I skip travedl in the summer.

Enjoy your planning.....


Author: Sally30
Date: 06/06/2008, 02:54 pm

The daylight does make a big difference. It is sunny until about 10pm in May (if I remember correctly) which feels like lots more time for walking around and doing things. Having said that, we are next going in October because both May and Sept are too hot for my husband.


Author: Christina
Date: 06/06/2008, 06:10 pm

I don't think it really matters that much, I'd probably pick based on other factors as to which date works best for you.

May has daylight savings time so sunset is about an hour or so later than in September, but it depends when you go. It doesn't stay sunny until 10 pm, even when the sun doesn't set until about 10 pm (which is more in June), it isn't exactly sunny just before sunset. It's dusk. But the time of sunset ranges from 9 to 9:42 pm in May and 8:33 to 7:31 in Sept (from beg to end of month).


Author: zooey91
Date: 06/06/2008, 06:27 pm

I haven't been in September, but we spent 9 days there in May '02 and loved it. The weather was fickle, but I'm a sucker for spring blossoms, as well as the spring fever of the Parisians.

And if you're there for 8-10 days I think it's a good bet that at least a few of them will have spectacular weather.


Author: avalon
Date: 06/06/2008, 07:07 pm

Anytime is a good time in Paris!


Author: JeanneB
Date: 06/06/2008, 07:29 pm

I guess I'm the odd man (woman) out....I didn't like it as much when it didn't get dark til 10pm. ((H))

I love Paris after dark just as much as daytime Paris. All those pretty shop windows, street lamps, softly-lit monuments....sigh. I'm getting Paris-envy!


Author: djkbooks
Date: 06/06/2008, 11:16 pm

We have visited for over a week in May, June, and September, three times each, and my favorite is definitely September.

The longer days in May and June are nice.

But, we've always had beautiful weather in September, not too hot, not too cold/rainy/windy.

And, there have always been many more flowers, especially in the public gardens, in September, as May and June seem to be planting/replanting times.

Perhaps because of everything that's going on in September, we've found it less crowded when out and about.


Author: Underhill
Date: 06/06/2008, 11:29 pm

September for the weather and the fact that all the May holidays can make for difficulties.


Author: bozama
Date: 06/07/2008, 03:10 am

May does seem to have holidays that can mess with plans, but since I am a budget traveller I prefer May as the hotels are more expensive in September , and the staff seem a little less affected by tourist burnt out in May then Sept.


 

Reader Comments



Health and Wellness you need to read Want to see more Girls? This time not smilling... Flickr Girls and Flickr Babes

How about Myspace Babes but no jailbaits? Or maybe you wanna learn more about Asian Travel and Travel Guides?

For real world travel top destinations travel guides visit that link.

Welcome to European Travel guides by real travelers

Thank you for taking the time to visit my European travel guide site Take a second to peak around and check out some of my collection of stories and fascinating facts about Europe and European travelers. Of course, I would love to find out what you think as well, so make sure to comment. If you have any European Travel Experience and want to be featured here, you may do so and drop me a line at dasianbong@yahoo.com. See you around!